What is it really like to survive on Centrelink benefits, and deal with job agencies?
Click above to go to AUWU forum, auwustories.
Sharing you story is an act of courage. It is also a hugely effective contribution to the movement for change. Sharing your story has all these effects:
- it shows others who are feeling punished and humiliated they are not alone
- it inspires others with techniques for dealing with job agencies
- it reveals that the problems are the fault of government policy not of individuals
- it decreases the stigma of unemployment, and reveals “dole bludger bashing” for the propaganda it is
- it builds a movement of resistance and positive change
- it helps the AUWU build its case to fight government policy
On our forum auwustories, you can share your story anonymously (if you prefer), read the stories of other people, and get support from others who know what it is like trying to survive under a dysfunctional “employment services” system, a de-funded Centrelink system, and shockingly low payment rates. The abuse and hardships experienced by thousands of Centrelink recipients every day is one of Australia’s worst kept secrets.
The public perception of social security recipients is twisted by the mass media and the Coalition government. They portray social security recipients as the problem. They reserve their worst lies and hate speech for the unemployed; stigmatizing unemployed workers as ‘job snobs’, ‘dole bludgers’, ‘leaners’ and so on.
They use this blame game to distract from the economic mismanagement of successive governments — some of which is intentional, such as a policy of minimum 5% unemployment, which is a debunked tool for managing inflation. They use this blame-game to turn employed workers who are feeling the pinch of insecure and casualised work against unemployed workers. And they use this blame game to cover their destruction of our social security safety net.
In fact, this country can afford dignified social security and employment for all who need it.
Sharing your story will help bust the myths about unemployed workers, and reveal what’s really going on in Australia.
Click the link below to go to our auwustories forum where you can…
Having trouble logging in to post to our forum auwustories?
Getting the message: “Oops, we can’t find that account”
This just means under the message you need to either:
- click “Or create a new account”, and follow the instructions to add a new Username, Email, and Password
- click “Forgot?”, and follow the instructions to create a new Password
In either case, be sure to write down your Username, Email, and Password for next time you visit this website.
Sorry for the frustration! We can’t control whether we have this login function.