If you would like to hold an event in your local area, please contact the AUWU at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to send you materials and help you promote it. Even if you could spare 30 minutes to hand out our leaflet, it would be greatly appreciated.
The government are launching some of the most serious ever launched against the unemployed. These include:
– Significantly expanding the dangerous Work for the Dole forced labour program
– Extend and expand discredited cashless welfare program
– Increase waiting period for Newstart, cutting payments by $540 for new applicants
– Increase financial penalties for unemployed
– Give private job agencies complete power to make compliance decisions, taking away government oversight and the unemployed’s right to review
If passed, unemployed Australians will be forced to do whatever their job agency wants in order to remain on Newstart, no matter how unreasonable their request. It is the privatisation of our social security system. It is kicking the unemployed when they are down.
Its time to fight back!
As part of our National Day of Action, the AUWU is encourage our members to participate in #OperationFebruaryFlood by contacting your local Senator urging them to vote down the Welfare Reform Bill when it is discussed on 5 February. The vote is tight so if we get one Senator to change their mind we can defeat this Bill!