- This event has passed.
From Stigma to Dignity: Activist Expo
October 12 @ 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm UTC+10
It’s time to dissolve poverty misconceptions and promote solutions for change!
Living on a social security payment in Australia is a struggle.
It is a struggle against stigma. It is a struggle for dignity.
- hear first-hand experiences from the front line
- discuss solutions for positive change
- meet campaigners working on multiple fronts
- get involved and join forces for a better future
Panel: Fighting Stigma: Problems and Solutions
Many activist organisations run by social security recipients are fighting against stigma and poverty.
These activists are not “rorters” or “victims”. Against the odds, they are courageous social justice activists, fighting for a better society for all.
- Annie Davies (Fair Go For Pensioners)
- Jenny Davison (Council Of Single Mothers and Their Children)
- Joe Toscano (Public Interest Before Corporate Interest)
- Lara Watson (First Nations Workers Alliance)
- AUWU Representative
Panel: Building a Movement for Dignity
- Dr. Dina Bowman (Brotherhood of St Lawrence)
- Troy Grey (Electrical Trades Union)
- Steve Jolly (Victorian Socialists)
- Ed Miller (GetUp!)
- Nahid Poureisa (Migrant Workers Centre)
Meeting Room 3
Victoria Trades Hall
(Entry via Lygon St, directions at reception, walk through the courtyard to back building, take the lift or stairs to the second floor, turn left/ north and go to the room at the end of the corridor)