- This event has passed.
Bring Banks Your Budget Rally
May 25, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm UTC+11
Liberal Party MP Julia Banks thinks she can live on Newstart – a payment that is $350 per fortnight below the poverty line.
Ms Banks, whose base salary is $199,040 and owns 5 properties, has not yet provided any details of how she can live on $40 a day.
The AUWU is going to go to Ms. Banks’ office this Friday to find out.
To get there by Public transport, catch route 75 Tram and get off at Stop 60 (40 minutes from city).
At the rally, AUWU members will be presenting Ms. Banks their Newstart budgets in the hope that she can give them a few tips on surviving on $40 per day.
Come along and support them!
We also have a great array of speakers including:
– Father Bob (Father Bob Foundation)
– Joe Toscano (Public Interest Before Private Interest)
– Owen Bennett (Australian Unemployed Workers’ Union)
– A number of unemployed workers telling us about their experiences.
RSVP for the event here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/bring-banks-your-budget
If you cannot make it on the day, you can support us in four important ways:
1. Contact Ms. Banks directly and ask her how she plans to live on $40 per day! Her contact details are email@example.com / (03) 9808 3188
2. Fill out Bring Banks Your Budget survey here: http://unemployedworkersunion.com/time-raise-newstart/
3. Sign AUWU member Vito’s petition asking Ms Banks to either agree to live on Newstart or retract her statement. His petition can be found here: https://www.change.org/p/a-victory-to-thrill-humanity/u/22757366. We will be presenting this petition on the day.
4. Join our Newstart action group here: http://unemployedworkersunion.com/time-raise-newstart/
If you need assistance getting to the Ms Banks office, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org